Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Perils of Overpacking

I am full of advice about the college program. Of course, most of my advice is really bad. Like really bad advice. I think it's because I am so jaded. But once in a while I do have some semi-decent advice that I do wish to pass along to those who are willing to receive it. My advice is, unfortunately not unique to me, but my words to pass along regardless. Do not overpack. Look at what you're bringing and then half it. There will be so many "cute" outfits you'll never wear, so many "activities" that you do every day that will go untouched after week one. Just don't bring it. There is not enough room.

A girl just posted in the Facebook group (ah yes, there I go again on a fb group issue) who is talking about bringing her sewing machine. And then there were other girls who were like "I AM BRINGING MY TOO! YAY!" Don't. Don't bring your sewing machine. Those take up a lot of space. Space that just does not exist. Not to mention the fact that you will not have time to sew anything. When you do have free time, you will need to grocery shop or go to the parks! You don't want to squander a day off working on pillows and quilt tops and whatever else it is people sew. (I only quilt, so I have limited knowledge.) Right now, people think that they will have time for everything, but that's just not the case. You're only there for five to eight months. Even when you do have the energy to sew, you should be doing something that you can never do again. Go see Wishes or hang out with your friends!

I am a huge crocheter/knitter and my entire program I managed to make two granny squares and a hat. That's it! And I made those in February and then my bag of yarn and needles disappeared until I packed up to move because I just did not have time! Don't bring stuff like that. It takes up valuable space collecting. 

And the clothes. Five to six days a week you will be wearing your costume and pajamas, nothing else. Of course, this depends on the person, but for a lot of people that is the case. You either don't have the energy to go out after work or you just do not have the option because it's four in the morning and everything is closed. So you go home and put your pajamas on and sit around until you go to sleep, then you sleep until it's just about time to leave for work, you wake up, shower, put on your costume and start over again. Cut back on the clothes you bring. I don't even own as many clothes as most girls and yet, I still only wore half of what I brought. And I went out after work a lot of days. You have your standards, and that is what you wear. 

But, here's further advice, bring twice as many socks and underwear as you could ever imagine needing. I went down there and I ended up buying a lot more underwear just so I could further put off doing laundry. Since I only really wore my costumes and pajamas, laundry was something that could be put off until I ran out of socks and underwear. When my costumes got gross, I returned them to costuming and got new costumes, which meant that I seriously did not need to do laundry. I could go two weeks, which was great for me. My roommate could go longer. I was so envious of that.

So pack light. Please. I beg of you. Pack light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment